Windy City Road Warrior Postcards

Jackson Drive Skyline Postcard

LEFT: The caption on the back of this 5 1/2 by 4 1/4 inch postcard reads: "This view looking west from the 1937-1977 starting point of Route 66 shows the two buildings that framed the original 1926-1937 starting point of the highway. Metropolitan Tower, known as the S.W. Straus Building when completed in 1924, is located at the southwest corner of Jackson Boulevard and Michigan Avenue. On the northwest corner is the Railway Exchange Building, featuring the Santa Fe sign on its roof. The Sears Tower can be seen in the distance."

Close the window

Scroll Down to see more Postcards

Buckingham Fountain Skyline Postcard

LEFT: The caption on the back of this 5 1/2 by 4 1/4 inch postcard reads: "Buckingham Fountain has graced Chicago's Grant Park since 1927, and it was waiting there for Route 66 when the highway was extended east to Lake Shore Drive in 1937. The buildings visible in the skyline that are part of the Route 66 corridor, from left to right: 311 S. Wacker Building; Sears Tower; CNA Building; Metropolitan Tower (formerly S.W. Straus); Dearborn Center; Railway Exchange/Santa Fe Building; Borg Warner Building; and the Peoples' Gas Company Building."

Close the window

Scroll Up or Down to see more Postcards

Lou Mitchell's Restaurant Postcard

LEFT: The caption on the back of this 5 1/2 by 4 1/4 inch postcard reads: "Chicago's Jackson Boulevard has carried Route 66 traffic since 1926, but Lou Mitchell's Restaurant has been on the Boulevard since 1923. Now the traditional place for travelers to start (or end) their Mother Road adventure, Lou Mitchell's still does business the old-fashioned way: good food, large portions, and modest prices."

Close the window

Scroll Up or Down to see more Postcards

Castle Filling Station Postcard

LEFT: The caption on the back of this 5 1/2 by 4 1/4 inch postcard reads: "The Castle Filling Station at 3801 W. Ogden Avenue originally opened in 1925 as the John J. Murphy Filling Station. Ogden was already a major highway, home to Illinois State Bond Issue Routes 4 and 18. At the end of 1926, Murphy's station was serving traffic for U.S. Highways 66 and 32 as well. Over 20 filling stations once lined the sides of Ogden through Chicago's West Side; today, the Castle Building sitting vacant is one of the few reminders of the highway's golden years in Chicago."

Close the window

Scroll Up or Down to see more Postcards

Begin Route 66 Postcard

LEFT: The caption on the back of this 5 1/2 by 4 1/4 inch postcard reads: "The 'Begin Historic Route 66' sign is located on Adams Street west of Michigan Avenue in Chicago's Loop. While Adams was used for westbound 66 traffic from 1953-1977, the sign is actually incorrect. The eastern terminus of the highway was always located on Jackson Boulevard. Behind the sign is the Sears Tower, completed in 1973 between eastbound (Jackson) and westbound (Adams) Route 66 at Wacker Drive."

Close the window

Scroll UP to see more Postcards

Close the window
Close the window